Monday, August 31, 2009

They're Back, Darn Allergies


How are your allergies doing? Mine started acting up last night with a vengeance. I think I have sneezed over one hundred times and used double the tissues.

I have endured the pleasure of dealing with allergies since I was very young. I remember feeling horrible and my eyes would practically shut completely, I would be sneezing, coughing, not being able to breath well, and blowing my nose till it was as red as Rudolph. I started every school year in this condition and it really could be embarrassing at times.

When I was young people did not bring their child to the doctor unless it was a necessity. My parents had the money to bring me but they never did. Instead, I would take over the counter medicine and put a heating pad over my eyes for days at a time. I would get so sick that I would miss days of school the beginning of every year. I got use to this, it was something I could count on happening every fall and spring.

After I was married and just couldn't take it any more I went to my doctor and told her my history. My doctor sent me to a allergist and I learned all the things I was allergic to even though, really, I already knew most. I figured the test were good because other doctors would see the proof for themselves. I also learned that I had asthma, that was a little bit of a shock but made sense from all the things I had gone through.

All this knowledge started a series of finding the correct medicine to work well for me. I have tried multiple allergy medications, some were prescriptions and then they turned to over the counter medicine. It seemed like every time you would discover something that worked they would change how they would sell it. When you deal with insurance companies, as I am sure you know, this can be a problem. I also have tried multiple inhalers, pills, and breathing machines for my asthma.

The worse part for me was I would try a certain allergy pill and it would cause my asthma to act up, twice I ended up in the hospital for these reasons. I had bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic asthma, and my allergies happening all at the same time. I spent five days in the hospital with breathing treatments, on a IV. I thought I was going to die, honestly. I think my family thought I was going to die to, my kids would just look at me as I struggled to breath. I have to say that I was seriously scared to death.

Well, you know I made it because I am writing this. The thing I want to share with you is if you feel that the medication that you are taking is not working for you then you have to talk to your doctor. It took me twenty years to feel like I am finally taking what works for me. It took me this long because I didn't question the doctor. I learned in the last twenty years that nobody knows my body like I do and I trust when I question the doctor that I am right to do so.

The reason my allergies acted up last night was because I was stupid and did not take the time to go to the store yesterday to refill my medicine. It wasn't smart of me at all, especially considering the time of year it is. Last night was a reminder to me of how I don't want to feel. Find the medicine that works for you and stick to it. When you feel to tired to go to the store for a refill, take my advice, GO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment